Pages

Friday 9 May 2014

Watching, waiting, getting ready

My wife brought me a cup of tea in bed after a short lie in this morning. She'd sorted the kids out for school and was just about to walk them there. I'd normally take them on a Friday morning, but she offered me a lie in in preparation for the race. I think she wants me to come and support at parkrun tomorrow, but I won't be up early if I can get away with it :)

Something I've observed recently, with me doing some early morning training is that our mornings have been a bit more relaxed. I'd make lunches the night before and aim to get back from my training by 7am. This is instead of aiming to get up at 7 and not actually making it out of bed until 7:30. I think there has also been a bit more give and take with training since She started to attend the local running club, and I schedule my training around hers.


PowermanUK published their startlist, and the stalking of AG competitors was duly completed. After that I went out for a 40 minute easy run in the wind, then packed my kit for Sunday. I'll be off to Sherborne after Mrs A has run parkrun tomorrow.

I just need to decide how much slack I need to include in the 2hr drive. Once there I need to check in at the B&B, register for the race, check the bike and test ride it to ensure it travelled OK. Then attend the athlete briefing, find somewhere to eat dinner. 

There are a few unknowns - whether the B&B will do an early breakfast or give me access to the kitchen for a brew and porridge or tinned rice pud. No point in sweating the small stuff. Like the weather. It is likely to be wet or windy, or maybe both. But I can run and cycle in the wind and rain. They're not ideal but they affect everyone.

I've been reading Charlie Spedding's From First to Last: How I Became a Marathon Champion recently. It has some great positive thinking in it, and it was quite a timely reminder for me. So ask me how I am, and I'll no longer say I'm not bad, but I'll say I'm good, great!

So along those lines, I'm going to have a great race on Sunday. See you then!



No comments:

Post a Comment