Pages

Sunday 23 June 2013

Man up, cupcake!

It's been a while. After more Achilles problems I decided to not run for a month. This led to a training funk where I just CBA with anything.

A swim, a walk and a cycle, followed by some days of nothing. I wanted to TT, but had had enough of wet and windy TTs. I finally made it back out on the Friday, after committing to 16 km (10 miles) on the bike per day during the week, and something longer on the weekend.

After a great day out with the family on the Saturday at Beale Park (in the rain, grrrr!) I got out on the bike. The next day I went over to Pangbourne via Bradfield, and went up Whitchurch Hill. Not as bad as I thought, and a good 70 km.

Throughout the week I swam, and did easy 16km rides. Tuesday was a hard club chaingang, starting with the fast group. After a stint of the front it was my turn to rotate to the back, unfortunately I missed the join and fell off the back. By the time I caught up with the 'last-man' she'd been dropped too. Then a third man. We had a good effort round the course until we were down to two of us. A final sprint back to the start and probably a better workout that hiding in the bunch. 

Thursday was a local TT on H10/2. The pre-TT warmup saw me and two other club members in a team-time-trial style ride. Great fun! For the actual TT I knew not to go out too hard, but ended up doing so anyhow. I was a bit worried about that and also concerned I had overcooked the warmup. Luckily not. Despite a positive split by 24s I managed to set a new PB (again!) coming in at 24:36 for the 10 mile course. There may be some pictures too; I'll have a look.

Yesterday I volunteered at my local parkrun whilst wife and kids ran. In the afternoon I rode to a friend's bbq, via a lumpy 60 km route: Frimley, Guildford, Shalford, Godalming, Millford, Elstead, Frensham, Alice Holt. Instead of loading a route up on the Garmin I simply wrote the town names on toa piece of paper and taped it to my top tube. No route to follow, no path to lose. Make it up on the way.

Today I went for an easy 40 km around the back of Bracknell/Ascot. We're moving over that way later in the year so I thought I'd have a quick look-see.

One takeaway from the recent riding is that my hill climbing seems to be getting stronger, and I don't need a large cassette as I once thought. Little lumps don't exist and the long ones can be spun up fairly quickly with ease. The wind and rain don't seem to be too much of a problem either, once I'm out the door.

~228 km this week alone, without much thought or effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment